For two young ladies growing up in the spotlight, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have barely made any fashion mistakes. And that’s saying a lot passing through the nineties, where good was bad and bad was horrific. Boasting two of the most sought after brands, Elizabeth and James and The Row, Mary-Kate and Ashley have become better known as fashion power houses rather than actresses. As a result, the Olsens have been the leading topic in Celebrity Style Inspiration for years.
Here’s what the twins have taught me about style, so far.
- You do not have to be tall to wear over-sized clothing
- Chicness exists in an all black outfit and no, you will not look like Helena Bonham Carter (unless that’s your goal. In which case, yes. Yes, you will)
- Navy and black can be worn together. I repeat. Navy and black CAN be worn together
- Less is not more
- Double denim is a do and a tongue twister
- Raiding your grandma’s closet is probably a good idea (think kitten heels, loose layers & statement gold accessories) Grannycore is a thing
- Use a bag big enough to carry a laptop, an umbrella and a spare jacket
- Invest in a camel overcoat. Actually, invest in a few. (Like this, this or this)
- Structured bags in unanticipated colors are a must have
- Large sunglasses can be worn day or night if you’re cool enough
- Mix vintage with newer pieces for an interestingly unique ensemble
- You can never go wrong with jeans and a tailored blazer
- Leather mules are snazzy. Patent leather is a plus
Ah, I think that covers it for now.
Image via: OlsenDail